Re: readAsciiHead

From: David Ian Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:20:10 -0600

Hi Michael,
Even after limiting the size of your file to 248 columns of numbers
(where the numbers contain several digits and are
separating by spaces), you will have lines with more than 256
characters. numAsciiCol still tries to read each
line into an NCL string before it figures out how many columns of
numbers there are. The strings are currently limited
to 256 characters in NCL, but the routine that reads the strings is not
enforcing the limit, leading to memory
overwrites.

A fix for this problem was implemented in February but it has not yet
made it into the released version.
The fix returns an error message and truncates the string to the
maximum allowed length.
We are investigating what would be required to make longer strings
possible in NCL.

On tempest, /contrib/bin/ncl.new contains the fix for the core dump,
although it does not solve your problem with
reading all the data in the file.
  -dave