Problem reading a Netcdf file

From: Michel <mme085_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:55:20 +0200

Hi all,

I have had some problems while trying to read a Netcdf file. The problem
is:

1) First, I created a file to read NCEP dataset (windspeed:
wspd.mon.mean.nc), calculate the monthly mean and create a Netcdf file
with these results. I have done that to prepare the file to another
person who is going to use it later. This worked perfectly! However,
when I write "print(variable)", I get values such as : -19892.56, for
example. But, when I open the output netcdf file, the values are ok,
that is, for example, 5.2 m/s.

2) I have now used the same file to calculate the 97.5% percentile of
the dataset. This time, both the print() command and the netcdf output
file give me values like -19892.56.

Perhaps there is some kind of scaling factor that is not
'activated/used' when I try to read the dataset. Even if I just try to
read the data without any calculation, I get the same numbers. It is the
first time this has happened. For example, my files start like this:

;*************************************************
; This file is for making NetCDF files
;************************************************
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl" ; for the
dim_avg_Wrap

;************************************************
begin
;************************************************
; read in netCDF file
;************************************************

  a = addfile("wspd.mon.mean.nc","r")

;************************************************
; read the data
;************************************************
  wind = a->wspd(:,:,:)
print(wind(1,1,1))

-----------
The print command is just to check that it is reading properly, but it
gives me the wrong value, in this case: -19676. Why is that?

Thanks,

--michel

Michel dos Santos Mesquita
MSc. in Geophysics - Climatology
University of Bergen - Norway

http://www.geocities.com/mmeclimate/ (Check out the Blog link!)

 "If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth studying it.
And life would not be worth living." - Henry Poincare