Why segmental fault?

From: Jax (Guangxia) Cao <guangxia_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:36:14 -1000 (HST)

Hi,

I have written a NCL script to pick up the inversion base height from the
WRF outputs, run by myself. I have about 20 files for a month run, each file
1.7 Gb. The NCL script, composed of 130 lines in total, would run about 2
hours and process about 10 files, and
feel tired, giving me an segmental fault demonstration. Then I run
again from the tired point it will be ok to finish the rest or run for
another 2+ hours if the computer goes slow. I have used both old
(PIII) and new (Intel xeon 3.20 GHz, 2MB L2 Cashe, and 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM) linus computer
and had the same story.

My linux machine:
[root_at_localhost cjan]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:30:39 EST
2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Although NCL may not aim to handle the problem I have, I find it quite
efficient and simple to process netcdf files compared to other power tools
such as Matlab and Fortran.

I would appreciate any suggestion.

Thank you.

Jax