Re: Weather station decoder for "wmstnm"

From: Fred Clare <fred_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:58:47 -0600

On Jul 13, 2006, at 6:25 PM, Andrea Hahmann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have been trying to write a decoder that goes from station
> observations of wind speed, wind direction, temperature,
> dew-point-temperature, etc. to the character used by "wmstnm" to
> plot a
> station model data on a map. Somehow, I cannot get the temperature
> string right. Has anybody written a function to do this conversion?
> Would you mind sharing it with me?

Hi Andrea,

The way that "wmstnm" handles temperature is as follows:
The input data is assumed to be in degrees Celcius expressed
in whole degrees and tenths. So, for example, an entry of
211 would be interpreted as 21.1 degrees C. Using default
settings the temperatures are plotted as whole degrees F,
so the entry of 211 would be plotted as 70 (degrees F). The
control parameter 'UNT' is by default set to zero indicating
the use of Imperial units on the plots; if 'UNT' is set non-zero,
then metric units are plotted. In the case of metric units,
ambient temperature is plotted as degrees C and tenths, so an
entry of 211 would be plotted as 21.1.

If this does not answer your question, please let me know.

Fred Clare