Plotting terrain once for several parameter plots

From: Jack Glendening <ncarg_drjack_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:34:04 -0700

Is there an example showing how one can, to improve efficiency, create
a "background" plot (say of terrain and lat/long lines) and then
repeatedly overplot that with different parameters without having to
re-create that background each time? So far I have not found one (and
my attempts to modify an existing program to do so have been
unsuccessful). I am thinking of a projected coordinates case, where
the terrain and parameter data always have the same projection. I'm
trying to do in NCL what I already do in NCARG LLU program using
GFLAS.

                 Jack