Crosspost: OPeNDAP PyNGL WRF example / WRF post processing NCL -> PyNGL

From: Rob Cermak <cermak_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:28:32 -0800 (AKDT)

I have finally put together the an example script utilizing WRF
output data via OPeNDAP.

Script: http://137.229.40.27/data/tmp/pyngl/wrf_dap.py

Uses pyDAP 2.1.6

Graphics:
  http://137.229.40.27/data/tmp/pyngl/wrf-0.png
  http://137.229.40.27/data/tmp/pyngl/wrf-1.png
  http://137.229.40.27/data/tmp/pyngl/wrf-2.png
  http://137.229.40.27/data/tmp/pyngl/wrf-3.png
  http://137.229.40.27/data/tmp/pyngl/wrf-4.png

This script is based off of the existing example script: ngl02p.py

This should allow you to connect and display any data from DODS/DAP
type servers as long as you provide a URL. IE: Unidata's Motherlode
THREDDS server, NCEP's NOMADS or Coast/OceanWatch DAP type servers.

There is a WRF-NCL script kit that displays a lot of base parameters
and derived values. wrf_ncl-2.1.tar.gz

I was wondering if there were any efforts going into porting these
scripts to pyNGL for post-processing? If so, I would like to know
and help!

We have interest in generating additional derived parameters like
freezing level, mean sea level pressure... in addition to those in
the wrf_ncl scripts.

The stumbling block is porting the one fortran code to a python
module or just redoing the code in python (Numeric):
wrf_user_fortran_util_0.f

If there is a pyNGL port of the NCL scripts going on, please let us
know. If not, we will be likely launching into an individual port
of this kit to pyNGL in the next few weeks. Help would be
appreciated.

Rob

--
Alaska Ocean Observing System