Re: strings questions]

From: Kate Hedstrom <kate_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:57:56 -0800

> Kate,
> I have no problem executing the 3 lines of code you have here:
>
> ncl 0> sflag = new(1,"character")
> ncl 1> str = stringtochar("F")
> ncl 2> sflag = str(0)
> ncl 3> print(sflag)
>

> Variable: sflag
> Type: character
> Total Size: 1 bytes
> 1 values
> Number of Dimensions: 1
> Dimensions and sizes: [1]
> Coordinates:
> Number Of Attributes: 1
> _FillValue : 0x00
> (0) F
>
> Are you sure the error does not apply to a following line? By the way,
> the new
> version of NCL fixes the problem of inaccurate line numbers in error
> messages.
> I don't know of anything that has changed since the last version of NCL
> that
> would affect this bit of code, but if you are sure that it is not a
> subsequent line,
> then I would investigate further.
> -dave

OK, that's weird. I can run it interactively too, plus in a
shortened script, but still not in my full script. I've got:
NCAR Command Language Version 4.2.0.a033

Some files enclosed...

Kate

--
Kate Hedstr�m       Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
kate_at_arsc.edu       University of Alaska, Fairbanks