Re: contouring question

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:11:40 -0700

On Nov 8, 2006, at 5:15 PM, Kate Hedstrom wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am plotting tides in my domain. The important fields are tidal
> amplitude and phase. The amplitude is no problem, but the phase has
> a range of 0 to 360 degrees (or equivalent) and then jumps suddenly
> from 360 to 0. It's similar to plotting longitude over the pole. Is
> there any plotting feature to omit the contours where the jump
> happens?
>
> Thanks,
> Kate

Hi Kate,

Please see the attached script (that uses dummy data), and the
resultant PostScript file. This script plots the data by first plotting
the lower third of the values, then the upper third. It also
makes sure no values are plotted between 360 and 0.

The PS file contains the original plot, where you can see the contours
appearing between 360 and 0. The second plot has this removed.

Let me know if this is not what you're looking for.