Fortran error

From: <araligin_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:37:45 -0800

Hi,

  I am using a fortran program into the ncl program using "external".
I think this error is due to the fortran program and I get the following error
message

 ****** FORTRAN RUN-TIME SYSTEM ******
 Error 9: Bad file number
 Location: the READ statement at line 69 of "qscat.daily.f"
 Unit: 5
 File: /home/server/student/homes/naraligi/research/qkscat/maloney/19990819
Abort

  I tried changing the file unit number but still I am getting this error.
Can'nt figure out where to debug. Sorry about posting a fortran question on ncl
talk, but what I thought was most of the ncl users may be using fortran so could
 help me out with this.

Thanking you,
Nilesh