Re: Plotting a non-standard WRF projection

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 10:49:55 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Don,

For some reason, the WRF_po_1.ncl example has access to the 2D lat/lon
values (lat2d and lon2d), but is not using them to do the
overlay. Instead, it is attempting to set up the map projection
correctly, and then just draw the contours straight on top without any
transformation taking place (this is what setting tfDoNDCOverlay to
True does). This is actually a valid way of doing things, but if
you don't set up the projection exactly right, then, as you saw,
the data won't align quite right.

Try this instead, and see if you get different results:

   Right after you retrieve lat2d and lon2d, add the following lines:

   x_at_lat2d = lat2d
   x_at_lon2d = lon2d

then:

   res_at_tfDoNDCOverlay = False (or else just remove this line since it
                                 is False by default.)

Meanwhile, I'm cc-ing Dennis Shea in case he has an explanation about
this example. If you continue to have problems, please email me
directly, and we may ask for your script and data.

Thanks,

--Mary