Re: grib decoder

From: Rick Grubin <grubin_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:25:21 -0700

Hi Steve,

> When I use NCL or PyNGL on the included sample grib1 file, it works
> great. But when I try to use them on a grib1 file
> from NOAA they die, claiming:
> fatal:An internal error has occurred. The file format requested
> does not appear to be supported, could not open
> (fh.000_tl.press_ar.octanti)

For interactive or batch use with NCL, or for the tools ncl_filedump
and ncl_convert2nc, please see:
        http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfile.shtml

Note the requirement that for valid file extensions, with respect to
the name of the file you're trying to open:

"The file_path string must contain the full or relative path of a
file with data in a supported format as well as an extension (a
suffix consisting of the final characters following the last dot)
that indicates the expected format. The extension is required even
though it need not be part of the actual filename. The currently
supported formats, valid status values, and accepted extensions are:

NetCDF:
        ".nc", ".cdf", ".netcdf"
GRIB versions 1 and 2 (GRIB2 support available in versions 4.3.0 or
later. )
        ".grb", ".grib", ".grb1", ".grib1", "grb2", ".grib2"
HDF
        ".hdf", ".hd"
HDFEOS
        ".hdfeos", "he2", "he4"
CCM
        ".ccm"

You can either:

1. rename your file with a recognized extension

or

2. specify the file argument with a recognized extension (ex.: fh.
000_tl.press_ar.octanti.grb) when trying to read it, and NCL
will take care of the rest. Example #2 on the documentation page
noted above explains this in more detail.

----
Rick Grubin NCAR/TDD/CISL/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies
grubin_at_ucar.edu 303.497.1832