Re: high-res map with gsn_panel

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:55:28 -0600 (MDT)

Well, Joe, I learn something new every day!

Dave Brown sent me an email explaining that the high-resolution
map database actually has several levels of resolution itself.

Apparently, the default is to determine which resolution to use based
on the size of your plot. That's why you were getting different
results when you paneled your plots.

Dave pointed out a resource, "mpDataResolution", that allows you to
specify which resolution you want out of the "HighRes" map
database. (The default is "UnspecifiedResolution" which means NCL
determines the value dynamically.)

The other five possible values are:

     "Finest" - Draw the map using the finest resolution possible.
     "Fine" - Draw the map using fine resolution.
     "Medium" - Draw the map using medium resolution.
     "Coarse" - Draw the map using coarse resolution.
     "Coarsest" - Draw the map using the coarsest resolution possible.

You only want to use "Finest" and maybe "Fine" when you are zoomed in
pretty far with the map. In your case, start with "Coarse" and work
your way up.

I'll add some examples on this.

--Mary