Re: Reading Meteosat MPE in GRIB2

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 13:16:15 -0600

Hi Matthew,

I can explain some aspects of your problem, but there are others that
are a mystery and seem to indicate problems. It would be good either
if you can tell us where to download a sample file or else if you can
upload a sample to ftp.cgd.ucar.edu:

(
ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
log in as anonymous;
cd incoming
binary
put <filename>
and then send email telling us the name of the file.
)

Here is what I can tell you:
1) the problem with 5.1.0 is a result of a missing flag in the
compilation of the NCEP-supplied GRIB 2 low-level library. It causes
all GRIB 2 files to seem empty. It only affects 64-bit versions of
NCL so this diagnosis is based on the assumption that you are using a
64-bit NCL.
2) The missing parameter entries are visible in your file as
variables VAR_3_1_98_P30_GLL1 and VAR_3_1_99_P30_GLL1. Coordinate
variables in NCL's representation of GRIB data are always generated
by NCL. They are not found in the code tables and therefore do not
have parameter numbers.
3) The space-view perspective grid is not fully supported yet in NCL.
That is why there are no coordinate variables associated with
dimensions 'lat_0' or 'lon_0'. However,
there should have been a warning indicating this fact and the
dimension names are misleading and seems to indicate a bug. They
should have 'x' and 'y' in their names rather than 'lat' and 'lon'.
Implementing coordinates for the space-view perspective grid is on
the active priority list, and hopefully will be completed soon.
4) The Lo1 and La1 attributes for the lat_1, lon_1 coordinates seem
to be incorrect as well.
  -dave