Re: fatal:Undefined identifier: (wrf_user_getvar) is undefined, can't continue

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 08:08:46 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 20 May 2009, Yan Bao wrote:

> Hi, Dear all,
> When I run my ncl script, I got the error message like the following:
> I'm using the latest NCL 5.1.0, and have put my .hurresfile in my home
> directory. It seems
> all the problems have something with my library files, but has nothing with
> my scipit,Any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance.

Hi Yan,

I think there are a few things wrong here.

First is that you shouldn't need to load
"./wrf_user_fortran_util_0.so" if you are using NCL V5.1.0. Try
removing the line that is loading this. It probably looks something
like this:

external wrf_user_fortran_util_0 "./wrf_user_fortran_util_0.so"

Second, if you are still referencing the above *.so file, then that
means that other parts of your NCL script are probably out of date.

For example, if you have lines like:

wrf_user_fortran_util_0::xxxxx(....)

then these will need to be replaced by the new versions of these
functions. See the URL:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/wrf.shtml

for documentation on using the new version of these functions.

Third, in order to have access to "wrf_user_getvar", you need to
load a couple of NCL scripts at the top of your script:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl"

Please go to:

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/NCL_examples.htm

and look at some of these scripts to see how they are structured.

--Mary