Re: Metric wind barbs

From: Leslie Hartten <Leslie.M.Hartten_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 15:26:00 MST

Hi Jack,

On 12/1/09 1:08 PM, Jack Glendening wrote:
> Can any non-US meteorologists comment on whether there is a metric
> "meteorological standard" for wind barb display of wind speed? I'm
> getting one (non-US) person telling me that wind barbs always
> represent 5 knots, even in countries where winds are normally given in
> kn/hr, and another telling me that is not so. Being US-oriented, I
> have no idea how wind barbs are normally represented outside the US.

   I'm not non-US but I've done non-knot wind plots and will throw in my
$0.02: in my experience half-barbs, barbs, and flags are always 5, 10,
and 50 in whatever unit is being used (kts, m/s, etc.).

   Having said that, I'll toss in this quote from _The Meteorological
Glossary, Third Edition, In continuation of the Weather Map_, from the
Air Ministry Meteorological Office, First American Edition (1940):

"WIND
   Summaries of surface wind and their representation.-- By
international agreement the wind is represented on synoptic charts by
arrows pointing towards the station, with feathers to show the force; a
full-length feather represents two steps of the Beaufort scale, a short
feather one step. This practice was adopted in the Meteorological
office 9except for the 'Marine Observer') on March 30, 1936."

Cheers,
   Leslie

--
Dr. Leslie M. Hartten