How do I get a subset of one array based on the properties of a different array?

From: Bridget Thrasher <bthrasher_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 15:04:04 MST

I have 2 arrays sized as follows: x = (/50,91/) and y =
(/50,91,nlats,nlons/). I want to pull out the 30 "maps" from array y that
correspond to the 30 smallest values in array x (repeats possible) so that I
end up with an array sized as z = (/30,nlats,nlons/).

I can't figure out how to translate the indexing from the small array to the
large array after sorting. Or maybe that's not the right way to go about it?
Any help would be appreciated...

-Bridget

--
Bridget Thrasher, PhD