Problem with common label bar and gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map_polar panel plot

From: Eowyn Connolly-Brown <eowyn_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 11:07:49 MDT

Hello all,

I've searched the archives & examples and haven't found an example of a
common label bar for a panel plot composed of vectors overlaid on a
field, where the label bar matches the field. If you know of such an
example, please send it my way! Otherwise here is my question:

I am creating plots of a field overlaid with wind vectors via:

plot= gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map_polar(wks,u,v,var,res)

These are arranged in a panel plot, one panel for each season, eg:

   res = True
   res@gsnDraw = False ; don't draw
   res@gsnFrame = False ; don't advance frame
   res@gsnPolar = "NH" ; specify the hemisphere
   gsn_define_colormap(wks,"wgne15")
   res@mpMinLatF = 30
   res@mpFillOn = False

   res@cnFillOn = True ; color fill
   res@cnLevelSpacingF = 3. ; interval spacing
   res@cnLinesOn = False ; no contour lines

   res@gsnScalarContour = True ; vectors over scalars
   res@vcRefMagnitudeF = 20.0 ; vec magnitude
   res@vcRefLengthF = 0.04 ; size of ref vector
   res@vcLineArrowColor = "white" ; white vectors
   res@vcMinDistanceF = 0.02 ; thins arrows near pole
   res@vcGlyphStyle = "CurlyVector" ; turns on curley vectors

   res@vcRefAnnoArrowLineColor = "black" ; black ref vector
   res@vcRefAnnoArrowUseVecColor = False

   res@gsnSpreadColors = True ; use full colormap
   res@gsnSpreadColorStart = 2
   res@gsnSpreadColorEnd = -3

   res@cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels" ; set manual contour
levels
   res@cnMinLevelValF = 0 ; set min contour level
   res@cnMaxLevelValF = 20 ; set max contour level
   res@cnLevelSpacingF = 2. ; set contour spacing
   res@lbLabelBarOn = False

plot(0)= gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map_polar(wks,u,v,varDJF,res)
plot(1)= gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map_polar(wks,u,v,varMAM,res)
plot(2)= gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map_polar(wks,u,v,varJJA,res)
plot(3)= gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map_polar(wks,u,v,varSON,res)

   resP = True ; modify the panel plot
   resP@gsnPanelLabelBar = True ; add common colorbar
   resP@lbTitleString ="kg/m2/s"
   resP@lbTitlePosition="Bottom"
   resP@lbAutoManage = False
   resP@lbTitleFontHeightF= 0.010
   resP@lbLabelFontHeightF= 0.01
   resP@txString = VAR+" NAO+ composite"
   gsn_panel(wks,plot,(/2,2/),resP) ; now draw as one plot

Here is the problem: If res@lbLabelBarOn = False then there
will be no common label bar, even though resP@gsnPanelLabelBar =
True . Yet if res@lbLabelBarOn = True and resP@gsnPanelLabelBar
    = True , each individual plot has its own label bar (expected) and
suddenly there is a common label bar, too! What's going on here? I
suspect the gsnPanelLabelBar resource doesn't know whether to make a
label bar for the vectors or the colored contours (since this problem
only appears when the overlaid vectors are included). Interestingly,
even if only one of the 4 plots has vectors, the problem appears. Please
see attached images to see what I'm talking about.

Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks in advance. I'm a summer student, new to NCL, and I really
appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Eowyn