Question about addfile command

From: Gareth Berry <gareth_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Dec 08 2010 - 20:47:25 MST

Hello!

I have a quick question about the addfile command: I've been reading
some large (1.7Gb) grib files in a plotting script and it's become
apparent that the addfile command is taking an outstandingly long time
to execute. I'm curious as to whether they is a way to speed up the
process of opening a grib file?

I'm using files from a local server via an nfs mount - from my network
traffic I noticed that ncl transfers an amount of data about equal in
size to the file itself. I would of assumed that addfile would not
transfer this amount of data. I'm using ncl 5.2.1 on MacOSx 5.8, but
have experienced the same issues with ncl 5.1.1. I don't think the nfs
mount is the culprit as the long wait is not reduced significantly if
I run using a file stored on my machine (both take ~1 min to read 1.7
Gb). Any help or suggestions are most welcome!

Cheers,

Gareth.