About using betainc function

From: eddycarl <eddycarl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 15:03:17 MST

Hi there,

I tried to use the betainc function in NCL to determine the significance level of a linear regression analysis. My question is that: what the inputs a (the first beta distribution parameter) and b (the second beta distribution parameter) mean? And, how do they affect the significance level? More specifically, in the example 2 of http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/betainc.shtml, where the significance level is 5%, b is set as 0.5. If I want 1% significance level, do I need to change parameter b?
Thanks!

-Eddy