Re: Oceanography: streamfunction?

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 09:00:08 MST

An oceanographer sent me the following [edited]:

---
Assuming you are referring to the barotropic streamfunction. Computing
this requires solving an elliptic equation, the details of which depend
significantly on how one discretizes the differential operators that
would be applied to u and v. If u and v are from a model, you would
somehow need to inform the streamfunction solver of the model
discretizations. I think it would be very challenging to write a general
purpose tool for this task. (Our model computes this diagnostic online
for the history files so that it doesn't have to be computed offline.)
----