Re: the size of a pdf file.

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 06:26:26 MST

Hi Alice,

This can depend on a number of things. If you are drawing filled
contours, then the PDF might be larger due to which contour "mode" you
use for creating the contours: AreaFill (the default) or "RasterFill"
or "CellFill". I just ran a simple contour program using the three
different modes, and the PDF sizes were pretty different:

-rw-r--r-- 1 haley staff 399112 Mar 3 06:20 AreaFill.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 haley staff 1454485 Mar 3 06:20 CellFill.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 haley staff 2784358 Mar 3 06:20 RasterFill.pdf

If you have a plot where you are attaching *lots* of primitives via
calls to one of the gsn_add_polyxxxx routines, this could make your
plot significantly larger.

Still it's worth looking into why your one-page PDF is so large. Can
you provide the PDF, script, and data?

ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
anonymous
Use your email address for the password
cd incoming
put ...
put ...
   :
quit

Send me email with the following information:

    * The names of the files after you have successfully completed the
transfer.
      We cannot look at the ftp/incoming directory for security reasons.

Thanks,

--Mary