Nit-picky plot behavior

From: Daniel Adriaansen <dadriaan_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2011 - 12:22:26 MDT

Hello NCL-Team and users,

I am working on creating an automated plotting package to generate
images to be viewed on the web. There are multiple times, vertical
levels, and variables that the user can choose from, so visual
consistency among all images is extremely important.

In putting these together, I noticed two quirks that I could not figure
out, which are leading to visual inconsistencies among the plots. I
have attached an example script that can be executed to demonstrate the
problem. Please note the comments in the script for the three resources
causing the issues, and that you can change the replicate the problem.

My Information:
ncl V6.0.0-beta, Debian Linux

My Problem(s):
1. As you can see from the script, the gsnLeftString and gsnRightString
appear to have different vertical positions. This is a result of one
string having characters that extend below the "line", meaning those
such as j, g, p, q, etc... and the other one not having any of these
characters. I did some digging into the gsn_csm.ncl code inside
$NCARG_LIB/ncarg/nclscripts/csm. The best I could do was on line 1893 I
located a line that said:

"amJust" : "bottom"+just(i)

which for the gsnLeftString justifies the string as "bottomleft". I
tried changing this to:

"amJust" : "top"+just(i)

but it did not solve the problem. Suggestions?

2. When adding a label bar to the plot, I have the vpWidthF set to 1.0.
 I also set the pmLabelBarWidthF to 1.0, to match the vpWidthF. The
problem was some label bars exceeded the map boundary which was an
undesired result. So to combat this problem I reduced the
pmLabelBarWidthF to 0.95, however the overall size of the plot area
changed. You can replicate this by changing pmLabelBarWidthF in the
sample script. Is there a reason that the plot area becomes larger when
I reduce the label bar width (but leaving vpWidthF at 1.0)? Any info
would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Dan