Re: setting timeout for reading from an OPeNDAP url?

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed May 11 2011 - 12:46:22 MDT

Hi John,
Although there might be some hack-ish ways to accomplish this in the NCL code using Unix signals, the proper way to do it would require new code in the NetCDF library's OPeNDAP interface.
It would need to interface through capabilities that exist in the curl library that is used for URL access. I have asked about this on the NetCDF mailing lists, and one of their developers responded:
"Not currently implemented, but a good idea." So the answer for now is, unfortunately, no.

It might be possible to use multiple scripts run as separate processes, with a controller script that kills the 'controllee' script if it goes on too long.
 -dave