Re: Problem with White Space at Prime Meridian (Postscript File)

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri May 13 2011 - 10:27:39 MDT

Hi Zac,
Thanks for sending your data and script. When I first tried to run your
script I got the following errors repeated three times (1 time each for
each of your three plots):

(0) check_for_y_lat_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a
valid latitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
(0) A valid latitude coordinate array should have a 'units'
attribute equal to one of the following values:
(0) 'degrees_north' 'degrees-north' 'degree_north' 'degrees
north' 'degrees_N' 'Degrees_north' 'degree_N' 'degreeN' 'degreesN' 'deg
north'
(0) check_for_lon_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a
valid longitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
(0) A valid longitude coordinate array should have a 'units'
attribute equal to one of the following values:
(0) 'degrees_east' 'degrees-east' 'degree_east' 'degrees east'
'degrees_E' 'Degrees_east' 'degree_E' 'degreeE' 'degreesE' 'deg east'

Assuming you were getting these error messages on your end, these
messages are a strong clue as to what is going wrong. NCL is telling you
that the array that you are passing into a plotting function do not
contain coordinate variables, or do not contain units attributes for the
lat or lon coordinate variables.

Looking at your code, you get half way to creating coordinate variables:

    precc2_prect_ratio = (prec_shal / prect) * 100.
    precc2_prect_ratio@long_name = "Shallow Convective:Total"
    precc2_prect_ratio@units = "%"
    precc2_prect_ratio!0 = "lat" ; name the 1st dimension "lat"
    precc2_prect_ratio!1 = "lon" ; name the 2nd dimension "lon"

but you do not assign any kind of array to precc2_prect_ratio&lat or
precc2_prect_ratio&lon.. By adding the following you attach coordinate
variables to the 2 dimensions of precc2_prect_ratio:
    precc2_prect_ratio&lat = prect&lat
    precc2_prect_ratio&lon = prect&lon

Alternatively, you can just use copy_VarCoords, which copies all
metadata (including dimension names and coordinate variables) from one
array to another:
   precc2_prect_ratio = (prec_shal / prect) * 100.
   precc2_prect_ratio@long_name = "Shallow Convective:Total"
   precc2_prect_ratio@units = "%"
   copy_VarCoords(prect,precc_prect_ratio)

Repeating that coding for your other two arrays:
    precc_prect_ratio = (prec_conv / prect) * 100.
    precc_prect_ratio@long_name = "Deep Convective:Total"
    precc_prect_ratio@units = "%"
    copy_VarCoords(prect,precc_prect_ratio)

    precl_prect_ratio = (prec_strat / prect) * 100.
    precl_prect_ratio@long_name = "Stratiform:Total"
    precl_prect_ratio@units = "%"
    copy_VarCoords(prect,precl_prect_ratio)

After making the above coding changes your plot looks good to me.. The
white line disappears at the date line / 180th meridian, and the error
messages are gone. Try to make the above changes and let the group know
if that doesn't solve your issue.
Adam