Re: NCL Version 6.0.0 now available

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jun 02 2011 - 14:46:42 MDT

Hi Robert,
'group' is a new variable type that represents a portion of a file for formats such as HDF5 and NetCDF4 that support this concept.
It is not fully documented yet and is still undergoing development. We hope to have more documentation soon.
But just so you know, given a file type variable, 'f', that references a file containing the top level group 'mygroup', you can create a group variable, 'g', using:

g = f=>/mygroup ; notice '=>' in place of '->'

It is pretty much like a file type variable in that it can have group-level attributes and contains variables and/or other groups.
 -dave

On Jun 2, 2011, at 2:00 PM, Mary Haley wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> We list all the keywords and their documentation at:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclKeywords.shtml
>
> Most of them appear to have documentation, except for "group". I think this is not ready for use yet, but Dave or Wei will have to jump in here.
>
> --Mary
>
> On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:22 AM, Robert Schuster wrote:
>
>> Hello Mary,
>>
>> I would like to add the new Keywords to the syntax checker of my Netbeans Plugin (http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/38897).
>> Is there already a documentation of the usage of the new keywords? Especially for the group keyword?
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> Am 30.05.2011 um 16:22 schrieb Mary Haley:
>>

>>> The NCL team is pleased to announce the official release of NCL version 6.0.0.
>>>
>>> This release contains bug fixes that we found in 6.0.0-beta testing, and some new and updated functions.
>>>
>>> Here's what's available in 6.0.0 (for a list of what's new since 6.0.0-beta, since the link below):
>>>
>>> - Users can now create variables larger than 2 gigabytes (up to 4
>>> gigabytes) in size on 64-bit systems.
>>>
>>> - The default missing values have been changed to be more in line
>>> with NetCDF's missing values.
>>>
>>> - The NCL "byte" type is now a signed byte (it was unsigned previous
>>> to this release), and there's now a "ubyte" (unsigned byte) type.
>>>
>>> - Eight new color tables were contributed by Emilie Vanvyve of NCAR.
>>>
>>> - Single PNG files no longer have "000001." as part of the file name.
>>>
>>> - You can now use NCL's "delete" procedure to delete multiple
>>> variables. This is part of an overhaul of the "list" type, which
>>> is currently in alpha testing.
>>>
>>> - There is some support for reading HDF5 files. This is in alpha
>>> testing.
>>>
>>> - There are some new and updated functions. Here are the more significant ones:
>>>
>>> cd_calendar / cd_inv_calendar
>>>
>>> These functions are meant to be replacements for ut_calendar
>>> and ut_inv_calendar. They support more calendar options, and
>>> are more robust.
>>>
>>> wrf_user_list_times
>>> wrf_user_getvar
>>> wrf_user_ij_to_ll