Re: How to draw US state boundaries with "HighRes" DataBase

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2011 - 15:45:01 MDT

Hi Ming,
Andrea is correct, in that you cannot draw state outlines using the
high-resolution dataset. What you can do, however, is overlay a blank
map showing just the U.S. state outlines (using mpDataBaseVersion =
"MediumRes" over your original plot. I haven't done this, but I see no
reason why it wouldn't work.

; untested

res@gsnDraw = False
res@gsnFrame = False

plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,....,res)

res2 = True
res2@@mpDataBaseVersion = "MediumRes"
res2@mpOutlineBoundarySets = "USStates"
res2@mpOutlineDrawOrder = "PostDraw"
res2@gsnDraw = False
res2@gsnFrame = False

plot2 = gsn_csm_map(wks,res2)
overlay(plot,plot2)
draw(plot)
frame(wks)

Note that as you're mixing using the high-resolution database with the
medium resolution one if when you zoom in you might see some minor
discrepancies. Hope that helps!
Adam