gsn_polymarker error

From: Katie Holman <kdholman_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jun 24 2011 - 07:55:41 MDT

Dear All,

 I am trying to write a script that plots a polymarker at specific observation locations.  I have lat/lon data for each station.  I have been trying to implement various forms of the gsn_polymarker example code, with the same resulting error.  The error and script are shown below.  Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

  Thank you,
      Katie

;;  TERMINAL OUTPUT (including ERROR message)

Variable: latp (subsection)
Type: string
Total Size: 8 bytes
            1 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes:    [1]
Coordinates:
(0)         46.82

Variable: lonp (subsection)
Type: string
Total Size: 8 bytes
            1 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes:    [1]
Coordinates:
(0)        -87.75

fatal:Argument type mismatch on argument (2) of (gsn_polymarker) can not coerce
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 61 in file plot_station_locations.ncl

;; CODE

wks = gsn_open_wks("ps","test_poly")

res = True
res@mpMinLatF  = 40.
res@mpMaxLatF  = 52.
res@mpMinLonF = -95.
res@mpMaxLonF = -80.

res@gsnDraw = False
res@gsnFrame = False

map = gsn_csm_map(wks,res)  ; (I have also tried plotting a contour map of a different variable, which produced the same error)

data = asciiread("/Volumes/Data/kdholman/glerl_materials/sup_watershed/station_ids.txt",-1,"string");
delimiter = ",";
nfields = str_fields_count(data(0),delimiter);

latp = str_get_field(data,2,delimiter);
lonp = str_get_field(data,3,delimiter);

print(latp(10))
print(lonp(10))

resp = True
resp@gsMarkerIndex = 16;
resp@gsMarkerSizeF = 5.0 ; (I've tried a smaller value, 0.5)

gsn_polymarker(wks,map,lonp(10),latp(10),resp)  ; This would be line 61

draw(map)
frame(wks)