Re: support for authentication using OpenDap and addfiles?

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 13 2011 - 12:50:44 MDT

Hi Jamie,

If the site in question uses loose authentication that allows clear text passwords, then I see from the OPeNDAP site that it should be possible to include the username and password in the URL.
I believe the syntax is something like
  http://username:password@rest-of-URL

However, I think there are other more secure protocols that have been implemented in OPeNDAP that would require implementation within the NCL source code. If that is your case, perhaps you can describe the authentication requirements of the site in question, and we can look into the feasibility of adding the necessary code.

If anyone on the list has more information about the current status of OPeNDAP authentication, we would be interested in your input.
 -dave