Re: reading binary file

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jul 21 2011 - 07:19:05 MDT

Depending on the contents and structure of the "multiple data type"
file, it could be problematic to read directly into NCL. You mention
"PARLOW" but you provide no description of the file contents.
You provide no clean brief script that shows how you have tried
to read the file.

Certainly a start would be

setfileoption("bin","ReadByteOrder","BigEndian")

===
Perhaps a bettter option would be to call a fortran subroutine
from within NCL and "read them easily in fortran". Please
read the description at:
      http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/WRAPIT.shtml
===

Note that the command (actually, a 'statement') below just opens
the file. It does not read the file.