Re: calculating daily/monthly average of the time series

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Aug 12 2011 - 08:30:30 MDT

Without knowing the details of 'time' or what is desired
for the final product .... a conceptual approach

; daily

    ntim = dimsizes(time)
    ymd = cd_calendar(time, -2) ; yyyymmdd
    nday =
    xday = new (nday, typeof(x), getFillValue(x))

    do yr=yrStrt,yrLast
      do mo=1,12
         kday = days_in_month(yr,mo)
        do dy=1,kday
           YMD = yr*10000 + mo*100 + dy
           idy = ind(YMD.eq.ymd)
           if (.not.ismissing(idy(0))) then
               xday(n) = avg(x(idy)) ; compute 'n'
           end if
           delete([/ YMD, idy /]) ; may change next iteration
        end do
       end do
     end do

Still, if you have (say) only one value, for one day and 100 values for
a different day, the numbers are naot of the same 'statistical integrity'