How to define one month history

From: Rashed Mahmood <rashidcomsis_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Sep 15 2011 - 08:26:13 MDT

Hi all

I want to define a variable that contain only one month time domains instead
of 12 month time domains.

For example, if I have monthly precipitation data from NCEP for 1980 to
2000, I would like to define a variable that contain only Januaries of all
the data years.
e.g. a=precip(Jans,:,:) , where Jans:
 Jan1980,Jan1981,Jan1982...Jan2000.

This is something like we define for JJA,MAM, etc, in month_to_seasonal
function, but this has three months mean for each year.

Can anyone please suggest me how to do it?
thanks

Rashed