Adding a new variable to existing netCDF file?

From: Ashley Berg <ashley.berg_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2011 - 23:32:35 MDT

Is there a way to add a new variable to an already existing netCDF file
using NCL? I know how to replace a variable in an existing file, but I'd
like to add a new variable onto the end of a netCDF file that already
contains about 60 other variables. I couldn't find anything on how to do
this, so maybe the only way is to read in and write out all 60 variables
plus the new variable to a new netCDF file... but that would be a pain!

Thanks.
-Ashley