Re: masking

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Sep 19 2011 - 13:52:56 MDT

Hi Fernando,

There are a couple of ways to do this.

The easy way is to use mpFillAreaSpecifiers to indicate some bordering areas
around Colombia to fill in white:

  gres@mpFillAreaSpecifiers = (/"Venezuela","Brazil", "Peru","Ecuador"/)
  gres@mpSpecifiedFillColors = (/ "white", "white","white", "white"/)

I also set these resources:

  gres@mpFillOn = True
  gres@mpOceanFillColor = "white"
  gres@mpLandFillColor = "transparent"
  gres@mpInlandWaterFillColor = "white"

If you need the edges to match exactly, then the harder way is to
download shapefiles for Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, and Ecuador,
and fill all of these areas in white, pretty much using the same
code that you use to draw the Colombia outlines.

I will include a script for the "easy" way. I also created a second frame
and drew the locations where you have data, so you can see why the
contours look the way they do.

Finally, I decided to draw raster contours instead of the default "area fill"
contours. If you don't like this, set USE_RASTER to False.

--Mary