automatically setting contour levels centered at zero

From: Cathy Smith <cathy.smith_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Oct 17 2011 - 16:28:57 MDT

    NCL users:

My goal is to have NCL automatically set contour intervals for anomaly or
correlation plots that satisfy these 3 goals

1) They need to be symmetric about zero.
2) The contour levels need to be "nice".
3) There needs to be an even number of contour levels so that the center
interval between levels straddles zero.

What I want is to have anomaly or correlation plots with a single
zero centered contour interval (which I will color white). I am familiar
with
 symMinMaxPlt but it didn't do exactly as I wanted as it had a contour
level at zero as opposed to one centered around zero.

I am open to have the middle contour range be wider than the rest
(say, -.5,-4,-.3,-.2,-.1,.1,.2,.3,.4,.5). I would really like to avoid
having
to determine the optimum number nice contour intervals myself.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cathy Smith