Problem with string replacement in postscript using psfrag

From: Benjamin R. Hillman <benjaminr.hillman_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Oct 23 2011 - 11:37:32 MDT

I am trying to mark-up figures made with NCL with tags to allow
replacement in LaTeX documents using psfrag. The issue I am running
into is that psfrag will find and replace a single character, but not
strings with length greater than one. I have attached a simple NCL
script and tex document that reproduce this limitation/bug/feature on
my machine using NCL 6.0.0, as well as the pdf output resulting from
running "latex testDoc && dvipdf testDoc". I suspect that maybe this
is a result of how NCL is writing the postscript files, but
unfortunately I know very little about postscript and can't confirm
this. My solution so far has been to just define an array of different
single characters and successively assign these to the various labels
I want to change, but in some of my panel plots with a lot of labels I
am running out of characters, and this is somewhat awkward. Thanks in
advance for any light you can shed on this problem.

--
Benjamin R. Hillman
Graduate Research Assistant