Re: computing divergence with spherical harmonics and centered finite differences

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Oct 23 2011 - 19:04:48 MDT

Hello,

Really, you have not provided much information that
would be useful for diagnosing the issues.

[1] The spherical harmonics used by NCL are very high quality.
     NCL provides interfaces to these codes.

     http://www.cisl.ucar.edu/css/software/spherepack/

     You can read about the divergence and inverse laplacian
     subroutines.

     The spherical harmonic functions can be used *only* on
     global rectilinear grids. Ordering S=>N.

[2] The _cfd functions should give very similar results but NOT
     exactly the same results. They can be used only on rectilinear
     grids. These need not be global.