Re: str_match qustion

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Nov 14 2011 - 08:44:29 MST

Ziqiang,

Can you provide a case where str_match doesn't behave as you expect?

str_match is case sensitive. This means that any one of the following statements will return a missing value:

   i = str_match("ABC","a")
   i = str_match("ABC","bc")
   i = str_match("ABC","abc")

This will return a missing value too, because the characters aren't in the right order:

   i = str_match("ABC","AC")

These statements will return non-missing values:

   i = str_match("ABC","A")
   i = str_match("ABC","AB")
   i = str_match("ABC","BC")

There's a str_match_ic function which is not case sensitive. This function was added in NCL V6.0.0.

--Mary