Re: Problem with plotting vectors over a particular domain

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Nov 30 2011 - 14:43:53 MST

Because you have trDoNDCOverlay set to True, you are simply fitting the whole data set into the plotting area. And you are right that the projection is different for your north american domain. That is because you have mpRelativeCenterLat set to True. That turns the projection into a rotated lat/lon projection. A standard lat/lon projection must have the center lat set to 0. (However, it is fine in this case to set mpRelativeCenterLon to True.)
As long as you have 1D coordinate areas, you should be able to get a correct plot by changing trDoNDCOverlay to False and not setting mpRelativeCenterLat.
Another possibility that would actually plot more efficiently would be to set trDoNDCOverlay to True and then use coordinate subscripting to pass only the relevant subsets of the U and V data to the gsn routine, i.e.:

 plot1 =gsn_csm_vector_map_ce(wks,vhqh_s({10:80},{190:310}),uhqh_s({10:80},{190:310}),res)

(You may have to use lonFlip if your longitude array goes from -180 - 180.)
  -dave