Re: Errors compiling NCL 6.0 NCARG with ifort and icc hlu ncl

From: wxtofly <wxtofly_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Dec 18 2011 - 00:50:50 MST
All,
I finally got everything including ncl compiled.  The error below was being caused by the existence of the triangle makefile in the src/ncl directory.  Fedora turns out not to provide statically compiled libraries for things like -X11, so a fully static build was impossible.  The pre-existence of dependency libraries and headers that were other versions or had been built with other compilers and compiler options was the biggest issue.  By creating a special compilation environment and carefully controlling the -L -l and -I to be the right version compiled with the icc and ifort compilers, I was able to get it to work.  A last hiccup was one Makefile that had a hardcoded g\+\+ compiler in it that had to be changed to icc.

I never did get it to compile automatically but had to manually tailor the ncl build after it failed.

Next question:  Can I now move everything that was installed to the new $NCARG directory anywhere, or are there relative paths compiled in that will break if moved form where it was first installed.  ( I understand that I would have to change the env NCARG_ROOT to it's location.)

Unfortunately, after all this effort, it appears that a fortran module that I have been using, for which I do not have source code, will not load giving the error: undefined symbol: NclGetArgValue.  Is there any way to fix this kind of problem without the module source?

Thanks, TJ Olney