Re: another question about Taylor Plot

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jul 26 2012 - 11:19:37 MDT

Hi Erik,
Dennis and I have developed a solution for you using wmvect. It took
some work as wmvect is a very old NCL procedure and is not the most user
friendly. I have attached the script along with the resulting plot.

Basically, what is going on is we are using datatondc to query the
taylor plot for it's NDC coordinates and corresponding matching values.
(This is needed to set the reference vector size and NDC length.) We
then use that ratio to plot the correct length of the arrow that you are
drawing.

The only limitation of this method is that you cannot panel plot your
taylor diagrams while drawing vectors on each one.

Hope that's what you were looking for.. Adam

On 07/24/2012 11:48 PM, Erik N wrote:
> Dear NCL Users,
>
> On the NCL Taylor Plot example page,
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/taylor.shtml, there is a link to
> Taylor et. al. 2000, where the idea of the taylor diagram is
> introduced. It is also attached here.
>
> Has anyone attempted to draw arrows on a Taylor diagram, similar
> to Figure 5 or Figure 9 in the paper? These two figures use arrows,
> instead of dots, to show the results of 2 taylor plots ( or
> statistics) on one plot. The statistics for the older version of the
> model are plotted at the tail of the arrows, and the head of the
> arrows point to a revised model.
>
> If not, how would we go about doing this outside of using the
> gsn_add_draw functions?
> Sincerely,
> --
> - Erik -

Adam Phillips                                asphilli@ucar.edu
NCAR/Climate and Global Dynamics Division       (303) 497-1726
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/asphilli