EASE Ice Motion Vectors

From: Graham Simpkins <g.simpkins_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Oct 02 2012 - 17:14:25 MDT

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has been able to successfully (and correctly) plot EASE-grid ice motion vectors from the NSIDC for the Antarctic region?

I have obtained climatological U and V fields for the southern hemisphere from the binary files. I can plot these as vectors, but the resultant figure is not correct, i.e. it differs rather substantially from previously published ice climatologies, and those figures available at NSIDC. For example, in the Ross Sea region, the flow is southward instead of northward…If anyone has any advice on how to go about plotting this data it would be much appreciated as I'm not sure why it is doing this. All I'm doing is simply extracting the data from the binary files and plotting.

I also saw in the archives that an ncl function is available to convert the original binary format to netcdf (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2007/1799.html). Does anybody know where this is available from? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance,
Graham