Re: Communicating Large Files to NCL-Talk

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 06 2012 - 09:56:23 MST

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for bringing up this subject.

Whenever you send email to ncl-talk@ucar.edu with an attachment over 1.5 megabytes
in size, the mailman software holds it for approval by an ncl-talk mailman administrator
(usually me or Dave). We will usually reject the post if the attachment is over 2 megabytes.
When attaching scripts, it has to do with the size of the script, rather than how many lines
it contains.

But, we also ask that you try to clean up programs and data before you give them to us.
Many times we receive scripts that don't run "out of the box" and we end up having to
go through it to fix errors and paths. Many times we have to go back to the user
and get missing scripts, required environment variables, etc. This kind of back
and forth is very costly for us and can delay getting an answer to the user.

We have some general guidelines and FTP information at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/report_bug.shtml

--Mary