About reading .bin files in NCL

From: Waqar Younas <vickyqau_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2012 - 02:13:24 MST

Hi
I am using NCL version 6.1.0 beta version. I am wondering what is correct
way of reading .bin files in NCL. I am trying to read ENSEMBLES project
stream 2, uwind data at 850mb.
The data dimensions are
144,73,9,420,46 where these numbers are representing lon, lat, ensemble
member, lead time and number of years respectively.
I am using the following to read the data but i am facing errors.

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
v = fbindirread("ua.nov.ECMWF.ENSEMBLES.bin", 5, (/144,73,9,420,46/),
"float")
But i am facing error like
fatal:fbindirread: The size implied by the dimension array and record
number is greater that the size of the file, can't continue

Is there any way to convert .bin file into .nc using NCL because even if i
read the .bin file, the geographical coordinates like lat, lon are not
assigned to the data. Using .bin file, we can not get information like
ncdump.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

--
Best Regards