Re: suggest/ archive unpacking/ new releases

From: Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jan 15 2013 - 15:13:39 MST

Hi Sam,

Typically, such a 'parent directory' is created by the user. You can easily
create a directory for the version of NCL you are installing and untar the
files within that directory. This is what myself and other users I am aware
of do, as it allows easy management of multiple NCL installs (should you
choose to create a new directory for each version) or easy overwrite access
(should you only want one version).

In general, or at least to my understanding, $NCARG_ROOT is meant to be the
root of a directory tree containing only NCL/NCAR graphics software, not a
generic directory shared by other pieces of software. Of course, there is
nothing stopping you from doing it this way and everything should still
work as far as I'm aware.

Finally, although I'm not on it, there is also an ncl-install list that is
typically where the developers refer install-based questions, should you
have similar questions or thoughts in the future.

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Room 1421 Email: ksgriffin2@wisc.edu