Re: format "time" on x axis of xy plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2013 - 10:09:45 MST

Hi Vanessa

You may want to check out the "wrf_times_c" function:"

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_contributed/wrf_times_c.shtml

This doesn't give you just day and hour, but you can use opt=3 to get yyyymmddhh,
and then just extract out the "ddhh" part.

For example:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRF_contributed.ncl"

f = addfile ("wrfout_d01_000000_25time.nc","r")
Times = f->Times

yyyymmddhh = wrf_times_c( Times, 3 ) ; integers
ddhh = str_get_cols(tostring(yyyymmddhh),6,9) ; strings

print(yyyymmddhh + "/" + ddhh)

You can use the yyyymmddhh values as the values of your X axis and
the values of your X axis tickmark locations, but use the ddhh values as the labels.

For example:

res = True
res@tmXBMode = "Explict"
res@tmXBValues = yyyymmddhh(::5) ; Label every 5th one
res@tmXBLabels = ddhh(::5)
. . .
plot = gsn_xy(wks,yyyymmddhh,y,res)

You'll have to decide how many values you want labeled on the X axis,
and change the tmXBValues and tmXBLabels settings accordingly.

--Mary