Re: Vertical Structure

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Feb 24 2013 - 22:34:07 MST

Dear Guilherme,

Thanks for providing your files. I wasn't sure from your email what the problem was, but once I ran your script, I saw what you were talking about.

I believe you want the line contours to be on top of the shaded contours, correct? If so, you need to create two "plot" arrays, and then use the "overlay" procedure to overlay the line contour plot on the shade contour plot.

That is, instead of:

 plot = new(6,graphic)

you need:

 plot_shade = new(6,graphic)
 plot_line = new(6,graphic)

And instead of this:

plot(0) = gsn_csm_pres_hgt(wks,u1,res)
plot(0) = gsn_csm_pres_hgt(wks,u1,res1)

you want:

plot_shade(0) = gsn_csm_pres_hgt(wks,u1,res)
plot_line(0) = gsn_csm_pres_hgt(wks,u1,res1)
overlay(plot_shade(0),plot_line(0))

This way, "plot_line" becomes part of "plot_shade", and "plot_shade" is what you want to pass to gsn_panel.

See attached modified version of your script. You may need to fix the contour levels, however, because the data range for the last two plots is -8 to 6, but you've chosen contour levels of (/10,20,30/).

--Mary