Re: Reading ECHAM grib files

From: Kristina Fröhlich <kristina_froehlich_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed May 29 2013 - 07:24:27 MDT

Hi Marston, if you want to stay with the grib files, you probably need the echam variable table and I am not so experienced with that. But reading grib data with NCL is per se a quite time-consuming thing. its better to read in netcdf data which you can obtain if you have the cdo tool. The command for "grib to netcdf" looks like:  cdo -r -f nc copy ifile ofile.nc (-r ensures the proper time axis; -f points to the format nc) cdo can be downloaded from a website, the Max-Planck-Institute for Meteorology in Hamburg is responsible for: https://code.zmaw.de/projects/cdo a very detailed Documentation website can be found there as well Good luck, Kristina ________________________________ Von: Marston Johnston <shejo284_at_gmail.com> An: ncl-talk_at_ucar.edu Gesendet: 13:41 Mittwoch, 29.Mai 2013 Betreff: [ncl-talk] Reading ECHAM grib files Hi, I'm trying to extract data from several ECHAM6 grib files using ncl. Already when I try and open the file and read the variable names I get warnings. I don't think the issue with the name is a big deal. Do I need worry about the others? If so I'm unsure how to solve the problems. warning:NclGRIB: Unknown grib parameter number detected (24, center 98, table version 128 grib record 28), using default variable name (VAR_24) warning:NclGRIB: Unknown grib parameter number detected (25, center 98, table version 128 grib record 37), using default variable name (VAR_25) warning:GdsGAGrid: Possible error generating Gaussian latitude coordinates: continuing anyway warning:GdsGAGrid: Gaussian latitude coordinate array is partially or wholly undefined Sincerely, /Marston -- Only the fruitful thing is true! _______________________________________________ ncl-talk mailing list List instructions, subscriber options, unsubscribe: http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/ncl-talk