Working with the := operator

From: Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue May 28 2013 - 15:28:51 MDT

Hi everyone,

In the most recent version of NCL, the reassignment operator (:=) was
introduced. However, most of the times I've attempted to use it, I haven't
been able to do so successfully. I've noticed that this happens at times
where I use the operator in an attempt to re-assign itself, as I've
included below.

While a temporary variable would be an obvious workaround to this problem,
I was wondering if this was the intended behavior of the operator and/or if
there is any way to allow the type of use I've included below in a
memory-efficient manor? If so, that would definitely make this operator
significantly more useful in my work.

 Copyright (C) 1995-2013 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.2
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
ncl 0> x=ispan(0,100,1)
ncl 1> x:=x(::4)
fatal:["Execute.c":7270]:performASSIGN_VAR_VAR_OP: x is undefined
fatal:["Execute.c":8126]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1

ncl 2>

Thanks,

Kyle