"syntax error: line -1 before or near" when additional "end if" in code

From: Ruth Lorenz <r.lorenz_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun May 19 2013 - 16:27:12 MDT

Dear all,
I have a problem with a ncl script which calls another one for defining the plot options (plot_single.ncl). As long as there is no other "end" apart from the very last one in the first file it works (see plot_climdex_working.ncl). As soon as I add an "if statement" (see plot_climdex_if_notworking.ncl) I get a
"fatal:error in statement
 fatal:syntax error: line -1 before or near"

I do not see that there is anything wrong with my if-statement.
I have tried to add "exit" at the very end of my plot procedure "plot_single.ncl", as once suggested when goggeling this problem. That does get rid of the error message, but I also do not get any plot output. So its no solution.
I have no idea what else to try….

I am using ncl-version 6.0.0, but also tried 6.1.1 and it was the same issue.
I am running on linux, Linux dcc 2.6.18-348.3.1.el5 #1 SMP Mon Mar 11 19:39:25 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Does anyone had this problem before?
And does anyone know how to solve this?

(I am setting up a whole lot of scripts to plot different variables, therefore, it would be nice if I could just call the right plotting script instead of copy pasting this into the main file all the time, and I know that should be possible.)

Thanks a lot for any hints,
Ruth Lorenz

 --
Ruth Lorenz
ARC CoECCS, University of New South Wales