auto correlation Weatherhead et al. 1998

From: Xin Xi <xxi_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Jun 02 2013 - 18:29:30 MDT

Hello,

I am using the method of Weatherhead et al. (1998) to test the significance
of linear trends.I am in the step of computing the auto correlation
coefficient at lag 1 of a 3D time series (lat x lon x time), which is the
noise from detrending a dataset of same dimension. I used the esacr
function and got values larger than 1, while the paper suggested the
autocorrelation coeff should be in the [-1,+1] range. However the formula
used in esacr seems to be right. Can anyone explain why? if you are
familiar with the Weatherhead 1998 paper, is esacr the right function to
use in this case?

Thanks,

Xin